Counting Calories? Try “My Fitness Pal”
With a 100% FREE membership you get:
- The easiest to use food diary on the web – Track what you eat with just a few clicks from anywhere with an internet connection – at home or at work
- A searchable food database of over 2,763,000 items – and it’s growing everyday!
- Your own personal food database – add your own foods and recipes at any time and access them from anywhere with an internet connection
- Free mobile apps for iPhone and Android – so you can log your meals and exercise even when you are on the goSupport and motivation from people just like you – Our discussion forums let you learn from others, share your own tips, receive and give encouragement and make friends
- A personalized diet profile – customized to your unique weight loss goals
- Flexibility – our system can support any diet like Atkins, the South Beach Diet, the Zone, and more. No matter what diet you’re on, we can help
Tips for Eating Healthy When Eating Out
- As a beverage choice, ask for water or order fat-free or low-fat milk, unsweetened tea, or other drinks without added sugars.
- Ask for whole-wheat bread for sandwiches.
- In a restaurant, start your meal with a salad packed with veggies, to help control hunger and feel satisfied sooner.
- Ask for salad dressing to be served on the side. Then use only as much as you want.
- Choose main dishes that include vegetables, such as stir fries, kebobs, or pasta with a tomato sauce.
- Order steamed, grilled, or broiled dishes instead of those that are fried or sautéed.
- Choose a “small” or “medium” portion. This includes main dishes, side dishes, and beverages.
- Order an item from the menu instead heading for the “all-you-can-eat” buffet.
- If main portions at a restaurant are larger than you want, try one of these strategies to keep from overeating:
- Order an appetizer-sized portion or a side dish instead of an entrée.
- Share a main dish with a friend.
- When your food is delivered, pack half of it to go immediately.
- Resign from the “clean your plate club” – when you’ve eaten enough, leave the rest.
- To keep your meal moderate in calories, fat, and sugars:
- Order foods that do not have creamy sauces or gravies
- Add little or no butter to your food.
- Choose fruits for dessert.
- On long commutes or shopping trips, pack some fresh fruit, cut-up vegetables, low-fat string cheese sticks, or a handful of unsalted nuts to help you avoid stopping for sweet or fatty snacks.
Information courtesy of www.choosemyplate.gov
How soon after working out should you drink a protein shake?
Whether you feel hungry after a workout or not, you need to consume a post workout meal. The easiest way to do this, for many folks, is to drink a protein shake within 30 minutes of your workout.
The faster you consume the protein shake after a workout the better. This does not mean you have to down it on your way to the locker room, but you should consume the necessary protein and carbohydrates within one hour of completing your workout.
How soon after working out you drink a protein shake is just as important as what you drink or eat. The protein shake is a good choice because of its contents. For a great protein shake recipe, check out our “Recipe” tab.
Information courtesy of www.weighttraining.com